Monday, March 1, 2010

Selfish Sewing

I've become addicted lately to the Selfish Seamstress blog. For years I've wanted, even intended to sew for myself. But I was too scared to start -- knowing that what I made probably wouldn't fit me right, or wouldn't be made well, or wouldn't look good on me.....

But reading Selfish Seamstress's snarky blog has inspired me, and given me the guts to give it a go. I figure if she can tear out a seam a dozen times to redo it until it's right, why can't I?

First up was sewing knits. I love to wear knits, but they're supposed to be nigh impossible to sew. My machine, though, is an excellent old Bernina, and I was convinced that if I did it right, knits would work great in the machine.

I was right. After three attempts, I have a t-shirt that fits the way I want it to. (It's made out of an old, faded jersey-knit sheet that I love). The red ribbing is some red ribbed-knit that I have in my stash too. And it works great for ringers.


Even better, I have a t-shirt pattern that works! That way, I can modify it to make pretty much any sort of t-shirt I wish, and it'll fit, right? Tonight I tried a cowl neck, and it's okay. I'll probably wear it, in spite of the armhole-finishing being a bit off.


Sorry for the blurry pictures. I'm still fiddling with getting my timer and my camera set up in a way that works....

No comments:

Post a Comment