Monday, February 14, 2011

Giving in to the easy way

Sometimes my pride makes me stubborn.  I feel like that's been the case with a gratitude journal the past couple of weeks.  I've been reading "One Thousand Gifts" along with about a million other people (mostly women) on incourage, and this week's chapter was on starting the gift list.

I've already started mine, but haven't been super motivated to continue it.  I realized today that this is, in part, to wanting to be a bitter person.  I want to be miserable, and I want to blame it on other people.  How Christian of me.

I also realized that it's in part, due to my making it too difficult on myself by trying to keep the gratitude journal mainly online (as in, here, on this blog).  When I notice something that really ought to be here, I don't want to take the time to turn on the computer, wait for it to boot and internet to start, bring up this webpage and type it in (I'd have probably forgotten it by then, and assumed that I was turning on the computer to check my email, get distracted and totally derail my day).

I'm realizing that the more I work on computers, the less I really want my life on the computer.  So I bought a notebook.  As in, one with lined paper.  That notebook is now dedicated to keeping my gratitude list, which will from time to time be placed here too.  But it's main home is going to be in pencil or pen, on paper, in this notebook.

I had to do that with Bible reading too.  Instead of reading each day and blogging about it (like I wanted to do, really I did, and even started for a while).  It's much easier for me to read, with a pen and a notebook and just write down my observations.  It's so much more portable, and just easier in every way.  Technology is not always the way to make life easier.....

So that's that.  Just thought I'd write it on line since I was here anyway.

Oh, and I'm hoping it'll take care of the wanting to be a bitter person and blame it on others problem too.  I'm told that an appropriate sense of gratitude can allow God to work miracles like that.  Something about repentance and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment