Friday, March 11, 2011

The great closet declutter

I was reading Simple Mom this week (wow, I need to read her more often), and noticed that she's running a Spring decluttering series.  It took me about .03 seconds to decide that I really should join in.

This week's assignment was the closet.  I haven't really done anything in my closet for about 1.5 years.  So I knew it would be a big job.  Here's the before:


There's a chair in there, that I put there to rock sick babies.  Only I never use it.  Instead, I sleep on the couch with them.  My sewing stuff is in a huge pile beside it.  There's sewing machines strewn about, and the baskets on the shelf are overflowing.

I started with the clothes.  That took a whole evening, and I stuffed two medium-sized boxes with stuff for a friend's garage sale. 

Then I tackled the sewing stuff.  I decided to get rid of one serger that never worked right, and to put all the sewing machines together on the floor.  And that's really as far as I got.  Here's the after.

No chair, sewing machines all together, only about 1/2 of the clothes, and a nice space over on the right for my wonderful husband to add a couple of hooks for my clothes that I've worn but aren't dirty enough to be washed yet.

A few things that I noticed:
  •  Almost everything that I have is either dark red or dark blue.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for other colors.  (I have one light green cardigan, which I recently rescued from my "sweaters to cut up" bin and started wearing. 
  • I have a lot of cardigans (I wear them all the time), but none in chocolate brown, which would be a very useful color for a cardigan.
  • I need to figure out which brighter and lighter colors look good on me.
And that's it for now.  Next up:
Yikes.

3 comments:

  1. That looks great!! I like that you noticed what is missing in your wardrobe. Maybe I'll tackle that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're moving soon, so I've recently done the same thing. I got rid of three boxes of clothes I never wear (or hate). I've taken 4 trips to Salvation Army to drop still useful stuff that is no longer useful to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, you've hit on my favorite thing about moving (and I really like to move because of it). I am forced to go through everything I own and either ditch or organize it. I think I'm a secret organization junkie. Good thing God gave me five kids and a crazy husband, I'd probably be a bit OC.

    ReplyDelete